top of page


This is the history behind St. Andrew's Episcopal Church

Where it began

Several events aligned in Amarillo in the late 1800’s which provided for the creation of St. Andrew’s Church.  In 1877, two enterprising Bostonians developed the LX Ranch along the Canadian River to provide additional grazing land to meet the growing demand for beef after the Civil War. The increase in cattle industry caused the Ft. Worth & Denver City Railroad to construct a rail extension from Clarendon to Amarillo. The additional cattle for the new rangeland required a large amount of capital and in 1885 the LX Ranch was sold to the American Pastoral Company of London. The influx of funds from England attracted a young Englishman, banker, cattleman, CJE Lowndes who moved to the Amarillo area. With his Anglican background, Mr. Lowndes petitioned the Episcopal Diocese of Dallas to form St. Andrew’s as a Mission in Amarillo in 1891, St. Andrew’s being the patron saint of Scotland. Without a permanent structure, the laity of St. Andrew’s worshiped in each other’s homes much like the early Christians did for years following Christ’s resurrection. The congregation of St. Andrews began growing despite sporadic eucharist services.

Three pioneering families, Joseph Sneed, Lee Bivins, and Robert Benjamin Masterson purchased the LX Ranch and provided addition development of the rangeland along the Canadian River from New Mexico to Oklahoma. The discovery of huge natural gas deposits on the ranch in 1918 spurred the growth of Amarillo and prompted the construction of a brick church building at 9th and Fillmore. This new structure proved to be adequate for the next several decades, even through the great depression.

bottom of page